Most couples with children, who are thinking of getting divorced worry a lot about child custody. No doubt, going through the phase of separation can be extremely painful for couples.
However, it can be more difficult for kids. If both the parties have a proper understanding, they can create a child’s custody plan, which would be beneficial for both parties. This doesn’t cause any trouble to the child as well. All you need to do for this is to make an agreement by taking the help of an attorney.
The actual problem starts when both parties don’t have a proper understanding. This is when most couples leave the decision to the court. There are so many divorce lawyers in Maryland, who can help you by making your divorce process easy. When you approach a divorce lawyer, he will take care of everything from property distribution to child custody. This means you can stay relaxed without worrying about anything.
If your first priority is child custody, choose a law firm like the Law Offices of Thomas Stahl. This law office has the most experienced and top-rated divorce lawyers in the US. Moreover, they charge a very reasonable fee from their clients. You can also reach out to them on Facebook.
Steps In a Child’s Custody Case
- Preparation: Hire a good divorce lawyer in your location. You could read the client reviews online for finding a good divorce lawyer in Maryland easily. During your first meeting, your lawyer will let you all the possibilities when it comes to child custody.
- Court Proceedings: As you are now aware of the possibilities, you must begin the paperwork. You need not worry as your lawyer will help you with this. However, this doesn’t mean that you will leave everything on your lawyer. It is important to recheck whether all the details on the documents are correct or not. Don’t lie or exaggerate. If you want to file an emergency petition, take the help of your lawyer on this part.
- Try Negotiating: As the court might take some time, once you file your case, you and your lawyer could approach your spouse for negotiating on child custody. If your spouse agrees with you, it will be well and good. Simply make an agreement by taking the help of your lawyer.
- Child’s Best Interests: If your spouse doesn’t agree with you, you must prove your child’s best interests in court. You can present the witnesses like your child’s therapists, teachers, and friends who have observed both the parents interacting with the child closely.
- Final Order: After hearing the versions of both the parents, the judge will sign the final order. If you find any errors in the order, you can approach the high court by taking the help of a divorce lawyer.
Many people hire a lawyer who handles all types of cases. What they need to understand here is, hiring such lawyers is of no use. For handling divorce cases, you must specifically hire a divorce lawyer. As the divorce lawyers know how to proceed in your case, hire the best from the options available immediately.